Microsoft Exchange upgrade
The Microsoft Exchange environment is being upgraded to be up-to-date with current standards, storage requirements, synchronization with mobile devices, etc. This upgrade will improve the performance, robustness and stability of the University email infrastructure.
We are continuing on our roadmap to improve email service: new servers were deployed in the University Data Centre and all Outlook users will be migrated Microsoft Exchange 2016.
Who is impacted
All Exchange users will have their accounts migrated to the new environment. Users will receive an email notification at the start of the migration activity and another once the migration has been completed.
How to prepare for the migration
The upcoming migration is a good opportunity for users to review their existing email and delete any unwanted emails. Two easy places to start are your Deleted Items and Junk E-mail folders. This will help ensure a smoother, more efficient migration process.
What you can expect
- During this period, you will still be able to access your email and calendar; you may get some unexpected pop-ups in Outlook and experience a few delays on your mobile devices.
- The interface and functionality you have today in Outlook will remain the same.
- OWA users: Outlook on the web has a new interface, is optimized for use with phones and tablets, and contains many more Outlook features.
Online training help
- I did not receive an invitation.
An email from web47@uOttawa.ca will have a direct link to the training. If you did not receive the email, you may not be eligible for the training. Registration for the online training is offered every few months, to register for the next session, email ITMsg@uOttawa.ca.
- The training system says I’m not eligible for the training.
You may not be eligible for the training. Registration for the training is offered every few months, to register for the next session, email ITMsg@uOttawa.ca.
- The system did not save my progress.
If you exit a module prior to successfully completing the quiz, you will need to restart the module. Avoid switching languages during the training, as you lose the progress made during your session.
- Didn’t receive your certificate?
You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours.
- Workshop is not appearing as ‘Completed’ in the system after I complete the training.
It may take up to 24 hours for the change to appear in the system.
Proposed migration schedule
|Faculty/Service||Migration start date*|
|Office of the Vice-President, External Relations||COMPLETED|
|Office of the President||COMPLETED|
|Faculty of Medicine||COMPLETED|
|Faculty of Health Sciences||COMPLETED|
|Office of the Vice-President, Research and related services||COMPLETED|
|Faculty of Law||COMPLETED|
|Faculty of Education||COMPLETED|
|Office of the Vice-President, Resources and related services||COMPLETED|
|Faculty of Science||COMPLETED|
|Faculty of Arts||COMPLETED|
|Faculty of Engineering||COMPLETED|
|Telfer School of Management||COMPLETED|
|Office of the Vice-President Academic and Provost and related services||COMPLETED|
|Faculty of Social Sciences||COMPLETED|
*Note: Some faculties and/or services may take several days to complete. Dates are subject to change.
Minimum system requirements
Minimum Web browser requirements:
- Internet Explorer 7 or later
- Firefox 12 or later
- Safari 5.1 or later
- Chrome 18 or later
Minimum Operating System requirements:
- Windows Vista
- Mac OS X or higher
Minimum software requirements to use advanced Exchange Features:
- Outlook 2016
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook 2010 with KB2965295
- Outlook for MAC for Office 365
- Outlook for MAC 2011
Minimum mobile requirements:
- Windows 8 tablet
- iOS 5 or later
- Android 4.0 or later
- Quick Start Guide
- Microsoft Office Website
- Change how email is displayed on Outlook on the Web: Turn conversation view on or off
- Booking rooms in the Outlook for the Web
- Using email in Outlook on the web
- Using calendar in Outlook on the web
- Using contacts (People) in Outlook on the web
- Using Tasks in Outlook on the web
List of known issues
- A small percentage of INBOXes may not transfer and will require the manual intervention of the email team.
- There may be problems with some calendars and delegate tasks. On Outlook on the web, the list of rooms that can be added to a calendar invitation does not appear in full.
- Mobile devices with older operating systems may not be compatible.
- When composing an email, the TO: field may not provide name suggestions/auto-complete.
- For users with multiple accounts, you may be prompted to re-enter passwords occasionally or you may not be required to input passwords for secondary accounts.
- Outlook may prompt users to quit the application and re-launch to apply administrator changes.