Michel Lapointe was appointed Information Technology’s Acting Chief Information Officer (CIO) effective February 8, 2017. For any questions, comments or suggestions for our Acting CIO, you can contact his office at cioffice@uOttawa.ca or using our online form. Get to know Michel, read on!
What is your job title?
- Acting Chief Information Officer
How do you see your role going forward?
- As Acting Chief Information Officer, I view my role as a team leader that values mutual support and respect to create a warm and effective working environment. I see myself using collaboration and innovation to align Information Technology’s resources to fulfill the business needs and objectives of the University.
Where did you complete your studies?
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from the University of Ottawa
- Undergraduate certificate in administration from the Université du Québec en Outaouais
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Management from the Université du Québec en Outaouais
- MBA from the University of Ottawa
- I am registered for the short-term graduate certificate program for Change Management at the Université du Québec en Outaouais.
Do you have any professional certifications?
- I have completed training for ITIL 3.0 (Information Technology Infrastructure Library), TOGAF 9.1 (The Open Group Architecture Framework), and Black Belt level training for Lean 6 Sigma (process improvement).
What countries you’ve lived in/visited?
I am an Ottawa native but currently live in Gatineau. The list of countries I have visited is very long: Canada, France, Spain, Ireland, Great Britain, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Bangladesh, Rwanda, Benin, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Haiti, Tunisia, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, and Vietnam. I’m hoping to visit many more places.
Why did you get into your field of work?
- I’m following my father’s footsteps
Family info you want to share?
- My wife Diane and I have been together for 40 years; 35 years married. We have two sons.
What’s your favourite pastime?
- Reading, music, running and cycling. I also volunteer for various organizations.
What’s your favourite sport?
- I have been running races for over 25 years now and have completed two marathons.
What’s your favourite movie?
- I’ve been watching TV series like Suits for some time now. I’m currently binge-watching an adapted Danish police series on Netflix called The Bridge.
What’s your pet peeve?
- Costco’s way of validating if I’m really a member, from entrance to check out.
What would people be surprised to know about you?
- Maybe that I’m artistic, I’ve done many paintings.