FluidSurveys, an online survey management tool for the University of Ottawa will be decommissioned December 12, 2017. Once the service is decommissioned, data stored on FluidSurveys will be available for export only and for a limited time.
As an alternative to FluidSurveys, a limited number of Survey Monkey accounts will be available for users, or users may create accounts from one of our approved service providers (details below).
Update: November 2017
- Canadian servers for SurveyMonkey are now up and running. Because our contract provides a limited number of accounts, user accounts will be created on a first come, first serve basis and will be granted based on estimated usage and need.
- To request a SurveyMonkey account, contact the Service Desk with details about your survey needs and whether you expect more than 100 responses per survey. Accounts will be valid for one year and are limited to employees only.
- The contract period for SurveyMonkey licences ends May 1, 2018. Information Technology will monitor usage and adjust the service offering accordingly by the aforementioned date.
- Information Technology has reviewed and approved alternative solutions that meet mandatory criteria. If users wish to benefit from the features of other service offering, they can create accounts at their own expense.
- FluidSurveys will be decommissioned December 12, 2017. Once FluidSurveys is decommissioned accounts will be put on “Export mode”; data will only be available for export only. This data may only be accessible for a short period of time, users should still export and save any surveys and data they want to keep from FluidSurveys into Excel or CSV format. To avoid data loss, start backing up your data today.
What users need to do
Migrate your data now. FluidSurveys will be decommissioned on December 12, 2017. Data may only be accessible for a short period of time. Take this opportunity to review your stored data and delete anything that is no longer useful, and export data that you want to save. (Note: exported data should be saved on a secure device and encrypted if it contains sensitive/confidential information.)
Note that Information Technology does not have access to your login information and cannot automatically save information into the new solution. You are responsible for copying any surveys and data you want to keep or migrate to the new tool before the deadline. Once you have access to an alternative survey tool (either Survey Monkey or one of our alternative solutions), you can recreate your surveys.
- Delete unwanted surveys and data from your FluidSurveys account.
- Export the required surveys and responses into either Excel format or CSV format. If possible, we suggest this be done as soon as possible to avoid data loss.
- Save your surveys and data following best practices to ensure the data is kept safe and secure.
- If you are not using your existing FluidSurveys account, contact the Service Desk so it can be deactivated.
For staff on leave
If you are currently on leave, planning an extended leave or you have concerns about your current data, contact the Service Desk with the following information:
- Duration of leave (start and end date),
- Active FluidSurveys users (Y/N)
- If yes, under which email address?
- If yes, how many survey do you have? And how many responses per survey?
Request a SurveyMonkey account
To request an account for SurveyMonkey, contact the Service Desk and provide the following information:
- details about your survey needs
- whether you expect more than 100 responses per survey.
Accounts will be valid for one year and are limited to employees only.
Because our contract provides a limited number of licenses, user accounts will be created on a first come, first serve basis and will be created until we have reached the threshold listed in our licence agreement.
Alternative survey solutions
Alternative survey solutions
We recognize that users may have alternative survey and account administration needs. We have completed the analysis of multiple solutions and are able to recommend solutions that meet the University’s mandatory criteria. The use of an alternative solution will be done at the user’s own expense. You can purchase licenses with these vendors using the current procurement processes.
If you are interested in another solution that is not listed here, you can submit a Service Desk request for the analysis of a vendor’s service offering.
Alternative solution providers
- Implement new institutional survey tool with storage servers located in Canada.
- Encourage users to export FluidSurveys surveys and responses they wish to keep before the tool is decommissioned on December 12, 2017.