Will I be able to access my emails on my phone?
I already have a Gmail account. Why do I need this one too?
Your @uOttawa.ca Google account is your official University student email account through which the University communicates with you. University administrators, professors, teaching assistants and other students will easily recognize this email address. Note that some professors may screen out student emails that do not end in @uOttawa.ca or that cannot be easily identified.
Your @uOttawa.ca Google email account also indicates your affiliation with the University, which is helpful when applying for jobs or communicating with other professionals. Your @uOttawa.ca Google account offers the same great features that you love in Gmail, but within the @uOttawa.ca domain and with no advertising!
How do I get a Google Apps account?
Incoming students who are new to the University and beginning classes in the fall will automatically be assigned a Google Apps account when they register.
Professors and administrative staff are not eligible for an @uOttawa.ca Google account.
What are the advantages of using Google Apps?
- Lots of storage space: You will enjoy unlimited online email storage space
- Better spam filter
- Easy integration with mobile devices
- Easy web access
- Easy calendar sharing: Google Calendar lets you and your fellow students quickly and easily share your calendars and specify the details you want to show. Calendar sharing is a great way to keep up-to-date on everyone's schedule. Now it's easier than ever to find out who is in a class, attending a meeting, or out of town.
- Integrated chat: With the Google Talk instant messaging application, you can communicate instantly with other students at the University right from the Gmail interface. In addition, all your chats are automatically saved, so you can always retrieve important information later.
- Access to services from anywhere, at any time: A key benefit of the Google-hosted solution is that you can access email, contacts, and calendar from any computer or mobile device that is connected to the Internet.
How long will it take to activate my account?
After accepting the Terms of Service and setting the password for your @uOttawa.ca Google account, you should receive an email within 24 hours notifying you that your account has been activated.
How do I sign in to my @uOttawa.ca Google account?
The email management status page and University's Student Gateway page contains a link to the @uOttawa.ca Google account login page.
How do I change my @uOttawa.ca Google account password?
Log into uoZone (www.uOttawa.ca/students) and navigate to uoAccess from My account under your name in the top right corner.
Can I forward my @uOttawa.ca Gmail messages to another account?
How do I opt-out of this service?
There will be an opt-out option. You will be required to provide an alternate email address so that the University can communicate with you. However, we recommend that you sign up for the @uOttawa.ca Google account to enjoy all the benefits of having an @uOttawa.ca email address. Keeping your @uOttawa.ca email address shows your affiliation with the University, which is useful in communicating with professionals and applying for jobs. You will also benefit from features such as increased storage, enhanced security, and collaboration tools, but without any of the advertising you see in a traditional Gmail account. Also, keep in mind that some professors may screen out student emails that do not end in @uOttawa.ca.
What is the University of Ottawa's email policy?
All email correspondence from the University of Ottawa is sent to students via their official university email (@uOttawa.ca). It is the student’s responsibility to check his/her university email account on a regular basis.
It is highly recommended that all professors use their official university email account (@uottawa.ca) when communicating with their students and mention this practice in their course syllabus.