eduroam (education roaming) provides free and secure worldwide wireless service for the international education and research community. Through eduroam, uOttawa students, faculty and staff can securely access the internet on campus and, added bonus, at participating institutions worldwide.
How this change affects employees
The uOttawa-WPA and uOttawa wireless networks will be decommissioned later this fall, after which, employees will need to connect to the eduroam network to access the University’s wireless service. By offering a single wireless network for employees and students, we can consolidate and concentrate support.
Complete the initial set up of your device to connect to the eduroam network. After which, you’re ready to take advantage of the University’s high-speed wireless network and the wireless network of any eduroam-enabled institution in the world.
Using eduroam at a partner institution
Prior to travelling to another institution, configure your device to ensure the service works properly and you can easily access support if needed. Visitors from participating institutions can use the configuration procedures from their home institution to connect to the wireless network at uOttawa.
For support with eduroam, contact the Service Desk.
Benefits of eduroam
- Simplified and secure wireless access
- One-time configuration to benefit from free wireless access at the University of Ottawa and at participating institutions in over 70 countries worldwide
- Hundreds of thousands of wireless access points sharing a common network name, act as one large, worldwide, wireless hotspot
- Guaranteed and facilitated wireless access for visitors to uOttawa and for students and employees when they visit partner institutions
- Increase in opportunities to collaborate with other high education colleagues and institutions
- There are over 2,500 wireless access points at the University of Ottawa campuses which provide secure wireless access
- Through eduroam, users have access to over 6,000 hotspots at over 5,500 educational institutions, in over 70 countries
- Eduroam is used by several million users, worldwide