How will you be notified of an emergency on campus? What number should you call if you need to report an emergency? Is there someone who can walk you to your car or to another building after dark? SecurUO, the University of Ottawa safety app, has been launched and delivers a range of features and information to enhance your safety on campus. It is free and available in the App Store and Google Play now.
- uoAlert push notifications for emergency situations on campus
- Direct dialers to call Protection when you need immediate help
- Easy-to-access safety resources, such as Foot Patrol, Facilities and Office of Risk Management
- Safety toolbox (register for self-defence courses, use a flashlight, share your location, and more)
- Emergency procedures (what to do in the event of violent threats, earthquakes, and other emergency situations)
- Language detection makes app contents appear in your default phone language
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
The SecurUO app is just one of the tools the University uses for emergency communications. It is a complement to other tools including screen alerts, email, social media, and websites.
Information Technology collaborated with Protection on the technical implementation of SecurUO. The delivery of a campus safety app is an important initiative that facilitates communication with the community in an emergency. In the coming months, Protection will be working with other campus services to expand the tools and resources available on SecurUO and further enhance the safety of our students and staff. If you have comments or suggestions about SecurUO, email Dana Fleming, Coordinator of the Emergency Management Program.
Questions about privacy? See the SecurUO website for more information.