Wireless access is an essential service for employees and students, with an average of over 25,000 simultaneous connections to Wi-Fi per hour; a number that is continually growing with the rise of mobile devices. The wireless upgrade project will focus on enhancing the wireless infrastructure to deliver a consistently positive Wi-Fi experience for all users.
The University’s wireless network currently consists of over 2,700 wireless access points installed across campus, providing students, faculty and staff with wireless internet access. Information Technology will be updating and adding wireless access points across campus with the newer 802.11ac technology. The upgraded network will offer:
- Higher network connection speeds (about 3x faster)
- Increased signal reliability (particularly in densely populated areas)
- Broader coverage across campus
- Less network interference
- Accommodate more applications that require higher speeds and bandwidth.