@uOttawa.ca powered by Microsoft!
IMPORTANT: We are currently migrating uOttawa student email accounts to Outlook. Learn more
Login to your account
- Storage space: Outlook provides users with 100 GB online storage
- Collaboration features: Use Microsoft 365 tools such as OneDrive and Microsoft Teams to collaborate easily and efficiently with your peers
- Anywhere, at any time: you can access email, contacts, calendars and documents from any mobile device or computer connected to the Internet
What is Microsoft Office 365?
Microsoft Office 365 is a suite of messaging and collaboration applications that Microsoft provides as a web-based service, rather than as software that you need to download and install. To access these applications, students can simply use any web browser on any computer that is connected to the Internet.
Your Outlook account is automatically activated up to 72 hours after you have successfully completed your course selection in uoCampus.
Migration towards Outlook for students
During the next few months, @uOttawa.ca email accounts will be migrated from Gmail to Outlook, part of Microsoft Office 365. It will happen in phases. Some student accounts will be migrated as early as this month and others later in the fall or early in 2021.
If you are not migrated yet, keep a close eye on your emails as we will notify you approximately two weeks before we migrate your account.
What to expect
- There will be no change to the @uOttawa.ca email address. This includes those who have a full name email alias (e.g. Firstname.Lastname@uOttawa.ca)
- All emails, personal calendar entries and contacts will be transferred from Google to Office 365. What will not be migrated:
- Mail: vacation settings, automatic reply settings & filers/rules.
- Calendar: shared calendars, cloud attachments, Google Hangout links & event colors.
- Contacts: A maximum of three email addresses per contact, Gmail tags, contact URLs and custom tags.
- Once the migration is complete, students will need to use the Outlook client instead of Gmail to retrieve emails on the computer or any mobile devices.
- Students will still be able to use all G Suite tools (Google Drive, Google Docs, etc.) until summer 2021. This applies only to students who were already on the Google platform. New students that registered on July 27, 2020 and after, do not have access to G Suite.
Your Gmail labels will become Outlook folders
Outlook doesn’t support labels. When your email account is migrated, Outlook will create folders to replace the current Gmail labels. Please note that:
- “Starred” emails will become flagged.
- Emails labelled “Important” will be designated “Focused/Other.”
- Emails with other labels will be copied into folders with the corresponding label names.
- Emails without labels will be moved to the Archive folder.
Microsoft is governed by strict standards and your data is kept safe in Canada.
As the uOttawa staff use Office 365, we will improve communication and collaboration within the community.
Our goal is to provide students with a more reliable environment and improve user experience.