Workstation Security Optimization
Its focus is to reduce the introduction of malware on machines, in particular, for those employees who handle sensitive information as it pertains to student information, employee records, organizational data, financial transactions, patient/health profiles, and legal files. The ability to install software or other files that update the Windows operating system or registry on employee computers will be reassigned from the user to Information Technology. Unfortunately, having an anti-virus software installed on a computer is no longer enough.
- The security of your workstation is greatly improved.
- The risk of being infected by malware and spreading malware to other computers at the University is reduced.
- New software is approved and validated beforehand to ensure it is safe to install.
- In general, you will not be able to install software on your computer.
- There may be certain software though that you will be able to install if they do not make modifications to your operating system.
- Follow the process to request software for computers with sensitive data when you want to have software installed.
- There may be a cost to purchase some of the software.
The pilot phase started in March 2018 and we expect the project to end in April 2019.
|April 29-May 15||Faculty of Social Sciences|
|April 15-May 1||Faculty of Education|
|April 8-April 24||Faculty of Health Sciences|
|March 25-April 10||Faculty of Engineering|
|March 18-April 3||Faculty of Law, Civil Law section|
|March 11-March 27||Faculty of Science|
|June 27-July 3||
|July 23- 27||
|July 30 –August 3||
|February 11-15||Faculty of Law, Common law|
|February 19-22||Human Resources|
|February 25-28||Faculty of Arts|
* Other sectors will be added to the schedule gradually.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Service Desk.
- Java updates are not possible on workstations with security optimization; make a request with the Service Desk to have the update applied on your computer
- iCloud updates are not possible on workstations with security optimization; make a request with the Service Desk to have the update applied on your computer
- iTunes updates are not possible on workstations with security optimization; make a request with the Service Desk to have the update applied on your computer