Process to retrieve your Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Key from your Windows 10 machine if you forget your BitLocker PIN.
Note: This procedure applies to Windows 10 computers only.
Before you start
You will require the following before starting the recovery process:
- A second internet-connected device to access the Sophos BitLocker Self-Serve portal (computer, web-enabled cell phone or tablet).
- Enrollment in the Sophos Self-Serve program (you would have received a registration link when your computer was originally encrypted)
Regain access to your computer using the Self-Serve Recovery Console
- Shut down your computer.
- Turn it back on. The BitLocker logon screen appears.
- Press the Esc key while in the BitLocker logon screen.
- Using your second device, go to the following URL to connect to the Sophos Self-Recovery Portal. Login using your username (@uOttawa.ca email address) and Sophos password. If you have forgotten this password, enter your email address and click on the Forgot Password? link. An email will be sent to your @uOttawa.ca address with a recovery link to reset your password.
- Click on the Retrieve link.
- A new window will display a Recovery Key.
- In the Bitlocker recovery screen on your computer, carefully enter the 48-digit recovery key displayed on your secondary device and then press the Enter key.
- Once the Recovery key is entered successfully, your computer will be unlocked and you will be prompted to login to Windows.
- You will be prompted to create a new PIN once you have logged into your computer.
- Enter your new desired PIN. Click on the Save new PIN button. The new PIN is now active.